8 Mar 2012

Glitter Easter eggs

{or eggs with bling}

I wanted to try this for a while and I couldn’t believe how quick and easy it was. Even my little girl wanted to have a go but she was only allowed to help here and there.  I do like how glittery and colourful the eggs turned out but I wish I had more eggs left just to do them only in gold and purple.

So if you are looking for some easy and inexpensive Easter decoration here is how to make your own.

You’ll need:

Styrofoam eggs (I used standard size)
Glitter in your preferred colour / colours
Decoupage glue – I believe simple craft glue will also work
Small brush
Wooden skewers
A piece of Styrofoam for the eggs to dry on (I used one I made for a recent birthday party, hence the pink look)
Hair spray – if you don’t have one by a travel size in high strength

 
Put each egg on a skewer – as shown on the photo. Make sure it doesn’t move.


Use the brush and the glue to apply glue all over the egg


Put a piece of paper on the working surface. Hold the skewer with one hand above the paper and start sprinkling glitter over the egg. Turn slightly while the whole egg is covered. It doesn’t take a lot of glitter and whatever is left on the paper can go back in the glitter pot. When ready use the Styrofoam to leave the eggs to dry.
Repeat with all the eggs.


Leave the eggs to dry for about 30 min to an hour - depending on the glue.


I am sorry, there is no photo for this next step but it is important especially if you don’t want to have glitter all over the house. Once the eggs are dry take them to the garden / balcony and spray each egg with hair spray. The hair spray will hold the glitter in place – a bit like spray glue, and it will be dry in 5 min.
 
Next remove the eggs from the skewers by slowly twisting the wooden skewer while pulling out. This will leave a little whole on the bottom of each egg. Just dab a little bit of glue to cover the hole and dip the egg back into the glitter. Some of my glitter containers were a bit small, so I put a bit of the glitter in the lid and than dipped the egg – it worked absolutely fine.


Ready!





Have fun!

Love, 
Irina xx

P.S. Please check my Linky Party Fun page to see the parties I link to.

This post was featured on:

39 comments:

  1. They look great! I'll have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! My girl would love these eggs. Thanks for the tutorial. I think this will be a lovely easter crafting with my girlie. If it sparkles, it's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous glitter eggs, my little girl would love to make some of these. Great tip about the hairspray - I haven't heard that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Idee, ich habe auch noch massenhaft Glitter aus einer Aldi Riesenpackung herumliegen ..... sonnigen Gruß, Anja

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those eggs are gorgeous! I love anything with glitter! I would love for you to come share with my readers on Blog Stalking Thursday. http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-stalking-thursday-31_07.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty. Thanks for sharing at Things I've Done Thursday! www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the colours together, so pretty! I'm having a linky party tonight at Etcetorize (http://etcetorize.blogspot.com), it would be great if you came by and shared your tutorial~

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter loves everything glitter. I am excited to do this project with her. Thanks for sharing. I've stopped by from the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!!! thank you for linking up to Uncommon! Bonnie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Irina~

    Glitter a.k.a. {disco dust} makes everything better!! I invite you to link to my {k.i.s.s.} blog bash.

    Christina

    Drop by & Visit {The Tattered Tag}

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen these for sell at the stores before but if you want a lot would be very expensive thanks for showing me how to make my own come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these Easter Eggs are amazing. I love them...You keep surprising me day after day with your ideas and creativity.
    With love,
    mama xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glitter eggs are 'sew' cool!!!! Definitly going to have to grab one of those little glitter sets.
    ~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look totally fab! I'm so going to try these at the weekend! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful! I love your step-by-step pictures. Would you be willing to link this up to my Springtime Holiday Link Party? I'd love to have you. Thanks, Michelle http://michellepaige.blogspot.com/2012/02/springtime-holiday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! I love glitter...so do my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are really great, simple yet very effective, fab. I found you in JAQS Studio linky.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This would be a fun project to do with my kids! I would love if you would link up to the Lovely Things Thursday Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How totally fun are these?! Love it. Thanks for sharing. Pinning for inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These eggs are so fun! I'd love it if you shared these at Whimsy Wednesdays at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so kewl would luv for you to share it with our readers at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2012/03/happy-st-patrick-day-2012-with-linking.html
    Thanks
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! We just posted our Kitchen Fun and Crafty friday link party and would LOVE for you to share this!
    http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/03/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_15.html We have also included a Sugarlicious giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow they are amazing! Fab idea and thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so neat! Lovely! By the way the link for the button is:

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zcmf8XNx1fo/T13MH5AR3sI/AAAAAAAAA7I/t0-HEZQ7zFk/s1600/button+crafty+easter.jpg

    The link to the post is:
    http://creainthecity.blogspot.com/search/label/link%20party

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for linking to Handmade Tuesdays. I am going to try this for something different for Easter this year. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love how your eggs turned out!
    Would love to have link this up at Sunday Round UP!
    3 blogs = 1 party
    xx
    Heather
    http://www.heatherlyloves.com/2012/03/sunday-round-up-1_8663.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this project. No blowing out eggs or spray painting plastic ones. I pinned it on my "Elegant Crafts" pinboard on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love them! Thanks for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays at The NY Melrose Family.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Simple and so so pretty! I love it. I'm featuring your eggs on Topsy Turvy Tuesdays today, thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Featuring you today! :)

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/03/take-look-at-you-my-favorites_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would love to feature this idea on my website www.thegrandparentsguide.com. Please email me at amy@thegrandparentsguide.com to let me know if this is okay. Please reference the glitter eggs so I know it is you. Great idea!!!
    thanks,
    Amy Greenberg

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glitter eggs! How cute are those??? I am so making these! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the nice comment about my tooth fairy pillow! I love these glitter eggs. So pretty in a vase. Will be making these this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love these so much! You are a talent. http://momcaster.com/2012/03/26/activities-for-easter/

    ReplyDelete
  35. I want to feature these on an easter egg roundup I'm doing! Embracingmessy.blogspot.com. Please email me and let me know if this is ok at embracingmessy@gmail.com!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy Monday! Your Easter eggs are included on my list of 101 Things to do with an Easter egg today! Come by and have a look!

    http://sassysites.blogspot.com/2012/04/101-things-to-do-with-easter-egg.html

    xoxo! Marni @ Sassy Sites!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love these eggs! Gorgeous. I’m doing an Easter link up today over on my blog…http://rustsunshine.blogspot.com. Would love it if you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awesome idea! I definitely want to do this for next Easter :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment if you'd like... I love reading every single one of them and to make it easier there is no annoying word verification.