15 Mar 2012

Lace Tights Easter Eggs

{that was fun but I had the wrong kind of tights}

I am well into the Easter spirit and I have been thinking about little projects to make and ways to decorate our house. I would like to make a little fabric garland but for some reason do not feel like sewing so I opted for some more egg colouring.


I decided to use a pair of lace tights – you know the ones that were in fashion in the 80s and also a few years ago. I had none left from those days but I managed to find a pair in Primark.
So today I took Lovely Little Big Daughter to Kindergarten and came straight back home to give those lace eggs a go. I am afraid the final result was not exactly how I imagined and I am going to provide a few tips to help you get a better result should you like to try this.

TIP: if you are going to use store bought dye, have a couple of different types handy. The first one I used (tablets) failed so I quickly opened my second package (coloured sheets), and that worked much better.

TIP: The smaller the pattern of the lace tights, the better - the ones I chose did not work so well.

TIP: Always tie the lace around the egg at one place only, which could be the “back” of the egg.

TIP: Wear plastic gloves while removing the coloured piece of lace from the egg.

From there on it is pretty easy as you can see from the photos.



TIP: Place the eggs in a single layer in a pot. Bring to boil but once the water has started to boil reduce the heat to mark 2 or 3 – basically you are keeping the temperature quite high without the eggs being moved around by boiling bubbles. Keep on the heat for 10-12 min.


Here is the final result. Not as bad as I though but I had hoped that the lace would be more clearly defined. I guess I should look for another pair with smaller pattern and have another go. 



 
Lovely Little Big Daughter was totaly impressed with the outcome and it made me think about how kids just see the world in such a different way, how imperfection seems perfect to them and how the littlest of things make such a big impact. Oh those years of innocence!

Wishing you a lovely weekend!

Love
Irina xx

P.S. Please check my Linky Party Fun page to see the parties I link to.

This post was featured on:
The 36th AVENUE homemade crafts featured I'm topsy turvy tuesdays michellepaige

11 comments:

  1. Very Creative!! I think my daughter would like these too:)

    Shannon @SewSweetCottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now these are cool!! Would have never thought to dye eggs with lace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Transformation Thursday! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am featuring them tomorrow, thank you so much for sharing them over at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea. Love the textured design it makes on the eggs. Will pin it to my "Elegant Crafts" pinboard on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they're absolutely stunning! what a great idea!

    Robyn @ www.penpalsandpicturebooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun way to dye eggs! I think it's a great idea. I'm featuring it on topsy turvy tuesdays tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I featured your eggs today! Thanks so much for linking up to my Springtime Holiday Link Party! http://michellepaige.blogspot.com/2012/03/egg-cellent-egg-decorating-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah ... you're brilliant!! I would have never thought of this. They turned out with such a cool texture. I've seen a lot of egg designs floating about the last couple weeks but these I absolutely love! Pinning, pinning! And thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I really appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment if you'd like... I love reading every single one of them and to make it easier there is no annoying word verification.